This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 contributors, and was last updated by q2hunter q2hunter 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
  • June 10, 2013 at 8:17 pm #580803 Back to Top REPORT
    Jeremiah Ross
    Jeremiah

for self defense purposes you should practice 10 yards or less.

Yes. Most “real world” self defense training is done inside of 7 yards (21 feet).
    FBI stats show most self-defense shootings are within 7 FEET {#emotions_dlg.mathews_exclamation}
    Sights don’t often even come into play.

Frankly, if you’re drawing/shooting farther away than this you’ll probably have a hard time convincing anyone that you were in imminent danger. Something to ponder.

June 10, 2013 at 9:08 pm #580813 Back to Top REPORT

damond

for self defense purposes you should practice 10 yards or less.

Yes. Most “real world” self defense training is done inside of 7 yards (21 feet).
    FBI stats show most self-defense shootings are within 7 FEET {#emotions_dlg.mathews_exclamation}
    Sights don’t often even come into play.

Frankly, if you’re drawing/shooting farther away than this you’ll probably have a hard time convincing anyone that you were in imminent danger. Something to ponder.

Exactly!

June 11, 2013 at 6:55 am #580839 Back to Top REPORT
    q2hunter
    q2hunter

These are also my thoughts on self defense…..it will be close.  I did shoot a couple rounds at about 20 feet just to familiarize myself with the weapon…..but it kinda felt weird…..LOL!  I shoot my bow out to 70 yards and have no intentions of shooting an animal over 35, and under the right conditions maybe 40 yards.  I guess I figure if I shoot at 20 yards it will make me better at 20 feet.  Still, God knows I hope I never have to punch anything other than paper with it!
    June 11, 2013 at 8:50 am #580853 Back to Top REPORT

damond

theres not a thing wrong with shooting 20 yards,just remember your not shooting a target pistol,and get discouraged.
    June 11, 2013 at 10:53 am #580859 Back to Top REPORT
    q2hunter
    q2hunter

theres not a thing wrong with shooting 20 yards,just remember your not shooting a target pistol,and get discouraged.

I’m seeing that….lol! You guys have made me feel pretty good about my shooting, on the other hand my wife is wondering if she wouldn’t do better by just carrying a big RAMBO knife and letting them get REAL close! I have 3 gun cabinets full of rifles and shotguns, and also 3 bows.  I have shot a few handguns in my time, but these are the first one’s I’ve ever owned.  I wouldn’t know a target pistol if I seen one……but I have done a lot of research and reading about shooting handguns and some of the different makes and styles before purchasing them, based on what we are hoping to NOT have to use them for.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)